bash.org quote I was looking for, #20788:
Murgatroyd: You know you've been playing Nethack too much when...
Murgatroyd: You look both ways down the corridor, start to sweat... then realise you're looking at your EMail address.
German-language extortion spam seems to be the new rage. After the livecamflatrate stuff, I received something that looked like an official court summons to stop spamming. Yes, quite amusing. But, a simple google search finds lots of German blogposts about the Widerruf der Genehmigung zur Speicherung meiner Daten fuer gewerbliche Zwecke. To all those spammers: I don't live in Germany, so you can stop try to extort money from me via the German courts.
I did something really scary: I tried a graphic mailclient, Thunderbird. Yes, I am a big fan of mutt but I kept having attacheritis (promising someone an attachment in an e-mail and forgetting it) and I lost the overview of my imap folders which I think should happen less with a client like Thunderbird. I wanted pgp-signed mail to work correctly so I set up the enigmail pgp plugin to sign and crypt e-mail. Mutt still rocks because it is so configurable and powerful. Cleaning out an mbox from a mailinglist with one 'D~r >3w' command (delete all mail received more than 3 weeks ago) is still faster than clicking around. The good thing about using imaps everywhere is that accessing the same mailbox with multiple clients is no problem at all. I had to set up an imaps server at home but that wasn't very difficult either.
Making the new disk bootable was the quite hard part: the floppy drive of the server turned out to be completely broken, not reading/writing disks. A scsi cd/dvd drive I added could make the machine boot from CD, but took ages to read the rescue cd, sounding like it had serious reading problems. So I used an ide cd-rom drive (but I had to disconnect one of the ide harddisks first to be able to use this), which the machine did see, and used that to make the whole system bootable again. It took a while of working, but I have a working server again.
I bought a new 400G disk at MyCom yesterday. I thought I had to setup the logical volumes all over again because the total size would grow above 1T but that maximum size is the maximum size of one logical volume. So just moving the /scratch volume off the suspect disk and on the new disk was an easy operation using the lvm howto part on removing an old disk. Now to change disks so I can boot from that new disk .. and making it bootable first.
Friday the homeserver developed a problem in one sector of /dev/hda, a Maxtor disk that's been in there since September 2003. The sector was in the bitmap of a reiser filesystem (via lvm) that did not want to mount for this reason. I started a complete reiserfsck on it as a last resort to get that sector rewritten. After 39 hours the complete filesystem check was done, that sector rewritten (and at that time remapped by the drive). The /scratch volume is available again, but I'll buy a new disk for it anyway, to avoid going through this several times.
Wardriving results 28 March - 11 April 2007: 2566 new networks with GPS locations. I did a few detours through the city and one serious wardrive tour through 'uncharted' parts of Nieuwegein. I was in Amsterdam last night and there kismet stopped detecting networks again, as it does every time I start it up there. I wonder what it is about Amsterdam and kismet.
This afternoon, I browsed the e-mail and saw a mail "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 updated" and thought "I should do that upgrade of the home server gosper to the current stable anyway, let's start it now". So I did, worked out all the problems associated with the upgrade (sendmail only broke a tiny bit, inn2 needed major whacking before it was running again, the usual). Right after I finished the upgrade and started looking whether mail was flowing, I saw the mail "Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released" .. that previous mail only mentioned "upcoming release".
I always thought the network performance of Linux was great, but in testing the new ftp archive server at work I found out that was wrong. Hitting it with apachebench for massive downloads of the same .iso file resulted in kernel messages about dropped tcp connections. With a simple google search on "TCP: drop open request from" I found a page with Linux network performance tuning tips. Those tips improved things: iso images flew out at wirespeed (gigabit). Lots of concurrent requests for a small file are still an issue, those stuck at somewhere above 1600 hits/second, way below wirespeed. It will do for the moment ;)
In wireless security, WEP is now 'broken harder'. Cryptography researchers at the Technische Universität Darmstadt have researched new attacks and written a tool that has a probability of 50% of finding a 104-bit WEP key within 1 minute.
Something I co-wrote is now published in a book! The book The Complete April Fools' Day RFCs lists RFC 2322: Management of IP numbers by peg-dhcp, which was indeed an april 1st rfc, but also what we really used at HIP'97. Website for The Complete April Fools' Day RFCs where you can read them.