2006-02-12 After too regular filesystem-related pro ... 14 years ago
After too regular filesystem-related problems with the homeserver, I replaced 3 SCSI disks with 1 IDE disk this weekend. Power consumption down on the entire system, cpu usage up on heavy filesystem access. I still get a weird error about unmounting /usr on shutdown, but I found the reason (ldap shared libraries always in use) and I circumvented the problem (also remounting /usr read-only). It took a number of hours of work in total: several hours syncing the old filesystems to the new, and after that several tries to get the system running with all hardware detected and working (there are still a lot of cables in there, and some get unplugged easily on opening and closing the tower case).