I noticed a few malformed characters in ... / 2009-03-28

2009-03-28 I noticed a few malformed characters in ...
I noticed a few malformed characters in the RSS feed of my homepage that weren't there in the original database entries and showed ok in the web version. Again, utf-8 problems showing, although all data (postgres - script - xml - browser) should be utf-8. Lots of testing and searching, finally I found The Perl UTF-8 and utf8 Encoding Mess by Jeremy Zawodny. He is right: it is a mess. And the post itself demonstrates it by being filled with � characters.
So to make sure everything in the RSS generating process understand that what comes out of PostgreSQL is valid utf-8 and should be imported in the XML::RSS module as the same valid utf-8, I need to recode it to utf-8. Uh.. ok. The bit of code:
        my $body = Encode::decode('UTF-8', $row[1]);
And now I can use ÜTF-8 çħáräćtërs!

Tags: , ,

IPv6 check

Running test...
, reachable as koos+website@idefix.net. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred. PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 local copy PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 via keyservers

RSS
Meningen zijn die van mezelf, wat ik schrijf is beschermd door auteursrecht. Sommige publicaties bevatten een expliciete vermelding dat ze ongevraagd gedeeld mogen worden.
My opinions are my own, what I write is protected by copyrights. Some publications contain an explicit license statement which allows sharing without asking permission.
Other webprojects: Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites, The Virtual Bookcase, book reviews
This page generated by $Id: newsitem.cgi,v 1.57 2022/02/15 21:48:18 koos Exp $ in 0.006809 seconds.