I recorded a podcast narrating an experiment in telephony and blueboxing.
Via the blog linked to the history of phone phreaking I found about an audio art project dedicated to Joybubbles, one of the oldest phone phreaks. This audio art is available in style, via the telephone. On a phone number in New York city: country code 1, number 718-362-9578.I can call this as an international call, which will cost me, but with the current competition on prices for phone calls that isn't too big a deal.
But there is a better way. More in style. Combining the modern technology of Voice over IP with old-school phone phreaking.Listen to me setting up the call via voip and ProjectMF in the US and blueboxing it from there to New York. But with permission from the owner of ProjectMF.
Websites mentioned in this podcast:
Yes, quality of the recording isn't great. The setup with a speakerphone generates lots of echo. And I need to work on my presentation.
- The History of Phone Phreaking where Phil Lapsley is working on documenting the history of phone phreaking.
- Blueboxing revival page with the beepbeep bluebox for Linux
- Project MF a simulator of an analog MF telephone system.
- Rachael Morrison's "Joybubbles" - The History of Phone Phreaking Blog
- Joybubbles audio collage by Rachael Morrison.