2015-07-05 Moving the lightning detector to the shed and testing 4 years ago
I thought of this ages ago: Moving the lightning strike detector to the shed but only today got around to it because we had some serious chances of a thunderstorm earlier today which showed up on the lightning strike detector but the graph was completely screwed up again after I tried some psk31 digital mode transmissions on the 20 meter amateur band (14.000 to 14.250 MHz for me). So now it is in the shed. Moving it to a lower position does mean I will not get readings for thunderstorms as far away as I used to but I'd rather have usable readings at this moment. First tests with transmitting psk31/psk63 on 20 the meter amateur band after I changed it look like it doesn't count the transmissions anymore. Now to wait for the next good thunderstorm to see how that gets counted. Some blips are showing up. Update 2015-07-14: The first result seems to be that using the lights in the shed (tubelights with starters) shows up clearly. Using the radio still has no effect. I now await the first thunderstorm for more results. Update 2015-07-28: No thunderstorm has been reported by the KNMI weather institute thunderstorm archive within a short distance of my sensor. I guess the maximum range is quite limited now.
The last year in counted lightning strikes, showing clearly that I got active on 20meter psk31 in October 2014. The 'blips' before that are real thunderstorms.