I caused an interesting problem with the VDSL pppoe session / 2018-01-27

2018-01-27 I caused an interesting problem with the VDSL pppoe session
Normally being active on certain HF bands causes one-time VDSL disconnects but what I have currently done seems to have triggered something else. After the connection dropped it refuses to come back at the moment. The entire session looks like:
22:49:28.466922 PPPoE PADI [Service-Name]
22:49:28.490394 PPPoE PADO [AC-Name "dr12.d12"] [Service-Name] [AC-Cookie 0xA3FE109A222CE73945C23FCE85E03F83] [EOL]
22:49:28.490603 PPPoE PADR [Service-Name] [AC-Cookie 0xA3FE109A222CE73945C23FCE85E03F83]
22:49:28.517063 PPPoE PADS [ses 0x40c] [Service-Name] [AC-Name "dr12.d12"] [AC-Cookie 0xA3FE109A222CE73945C23FCE85E03F83] [EOL]
22:49:28.575266 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 72, length 16
22:49:28.575776 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 99, length 22
22:49:28.575798 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Reject (0x04), id 72, length 10
22:49:28.589161 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Ack (0x02), id 99, length 22
22:49:28.589164 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 73, length 12
22:49:28.589666 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Conf-Ack (0x02), id 73, length 12
22:49:28.589682 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Echo-Request (0x09), id 0, length 10
22:49:28.589693 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] CCP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 89, length 17
22:49:28.589702 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] IPCP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 89, length 18
22:49:28.589711 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] IP6CP, Conf-Request (0x01), id 89, length 16
22:49:28.603265 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Echo-Reply (0x0a), id 0, length 10
22:49:28.603267 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Term-Request (0x05), id 74, length 6
22:49:28.604033 PPPoE  [ses 0x40c] LCP, Term-Ack (0x06), id 74, length 6
22:49:31.623454 PPPoE PADT [ses 0x40c] [Generic-Error "RP-PPPoE: System call error: Input/output error"] [AC-Cookie 0xA3FE109A222CE73945C23FCE85E03F83]
So in the end the router at my ISP decides to terminate the connection. On the connection failing I decided to change the configuration to use the kernel mode pppoe driver but after this started showing I reverted that change. Which made no difference, the connection is still not coming up.

Update: I went looking at other changes I made to enable the pppoe server test and reverting the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file to its original format fixed the problem. I guess I somehow started to authenticate the remote end.

And changing from user-mode pppoe to kernel-mode pppoe does lower the MTU to 1492, so that test is also finished. Back to user-mode pppoe.

Tags: , , ,

IPv6 check

Running test...
, reachable as koos+website@idefix.net. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred. PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 local copy PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 via keyservers

RSS
Meningen zijn die van mezelf, wat ik schrijf is beschermd door auteursrecht. Sommige publicaties bevatten een expliciete vermelding dat ze ongevraagd gedeeld mogen worden.
My opinions are my own, what I write is protected by copyrights. Some publications contain an explicit license statement which allows sharing without asking permission.
Other webprojects: Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites, The Virtual Bookcase, book reviews
This page generated by $Id: newsitem.cgi,v 1.55 2021/11/09 13:09:49 koos Exp $ in 0.006327 seconds.