2018-09-26 Made the big bang to the new homeserver 11 months ago
So for months and months I had hardware ready for the new homeserver, I was testing bits and pieces in the new environment and I still did not get around to making the big bang. Part of the time the new system was running and using electricity. And a few weeks ago I had time for the big bang and forgot to mention it! So one free day I just did the last sync of homedirectories and started migrating all services in a big bang. No more but, if, when, is it done yet. It's a homeserver, not a complete operational datacenter. Although with everything running it sometimes does look that way! The new setup, more completely documented at Building - and maintaining home server conway 2017 is now running almost all tasks. The main migration was homedirectories, mail, news, webservers. Things are now split over several virtual machines and the base virtual machine running kvm virtual machines is as minimal as possible. One thing I just noticed is that the new virtual machine with pppoe kernel mode drivers and updated software is doing great: the bigger MTU is working by default and kernel mode pppoe does not show up as using CPU when a 50 mbit download is active. I looked at CPU usage with htop and at the network traffic with iptraf and the result was that iptraf was using the most cpu. There are still some things left to migrate, including a few public websites that currently give 50x errors. But I will find the time eventually.