Raid-1 on the homeserver rebuilt / 2021-12-27

2021-12-27 Raid-1 on the homeserver rebuilt
After seeing read errors on one disk in the raid-1 of the homeserver I ordered a replacement SSD of a different brand and exactly the same size. It arrived today, and I did the work to replace the suspect disk.

First set the old disk as failed and removed from the array. And note the complete serial number on a piece of paper to make sure I removed the faulty disk.

After that the server was shut down, disconnected from a lot of cables, dragged from the homerack in the attic and I worked on it. It took a while to open the side with the SSDs (below the mainboard) and with two exactly the same SSDs it was a 50% chance which one to remove. After removing the disk tray and unscrewing the SSD from the disk tray I was able to read the physical label on the underside and I guessed right.

After that the new disk was installed, the case closed again and dragged back to its place and cables connected again. After boot it came all up fine.

After bootup I partitioned the new disk, added it to the raid-1 again and set up the EFI and Linux boot partitions on the disk.

Last step was to setup the boot menu with efibootmgr to set both disks as bootable.

Tags: , ,

IPv6 check

Running test...
, reachable as koos+website@idefix.net. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred. PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 local copy PGP key 5BA9 368B E6F3 34E4 via keyservers

RSS
Meningen zijn die van mezelf, wat ik schrijf is beschermd door auteursrecht. Sommige publicaties bevatten een expliciete vermelding dat ze ongevraagd gedeeld mogen worden.
My opinions are my own, what I write is protected by copyrights. Some publications contain an explicit license statement which allows sharing without asking permission.
Other webprojects: Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites, The Virtual Bookcase, book reviews
This page generated by $Id: newsitem.cgi,v 1.57 2022/02/15 21:48:18 koos Exp $ in 0.006793 seconds.