The current numbers from the third battery in my Dell Latitude D630 laptop:koos@machiavelli:~$ acpi -V Battery 0: Discharging, 100%, 04:21:53 remaining Battery 0: design capacity 7800 mAh, last full capacity 4544 mAh = 58%A laptop battery is a part which wears out, so this is not unexpected after a few years.
Teken dat het echt slecht gaat met de accu van mijn Dell D630 laptop:[ 20.075680] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery absent) [ 20.075762] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)Volgens acpi (en volgens de dell setup) zit er helemaal geen accu in. En dat terwijl ik nog een screenshot wilde maken van de gnome battery applet die beweerde dat de accu aan vervanging toe was.
After a bit of searching I managed to get my Dell Latitude D630 laptop to use the audio buttons in fvwm.
An interesting project at work: copying a given set of data to as big a number of USB storage devices as possible. So we buy 4 USB hubs, which got delivered today. Connecting them to the 4 different external USB ports on my laptop shows an interesting result:lsusb -t Bus# 7 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 |-Dev# 35 Vendor 0x2001 Product 0xf103 | `-Dev# 36 Vendor 0x0718 Product 0x0075 |-Dev# 34 Vendor 0x2001 Product 0xf103 |-Dev# 33 Vendor 0x2001 Product 0xf103 `-Dev# 32 Vendor 0x2001 Product 0xf103 Bus# 6 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 Bus# 5 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 `-Dev# 44 Vendor 0x0b97 Product 0x7761 `-Dev# 45 Vendor 0x0b97 Product 0x7772 Bus# 4 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 Bus# 3 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 Bus# 2 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 Bus# 1 `-Dev# 1 Vendor 0x0000 Product 0x0000 `-Dev# 24 Vendor 0x413c Product 0x8140Notice it? No? All the high-speed USB hubs (Vendor 0x2001 Product 0xf103) are behind the same root USB hub. Interesting USB congestion problems ahead probably.
My next step will be to discover all attached usb storage (probably thanking udev a lot in the process) and filling that storage with the wanted set of data.
Friday afternoon project: trying to make my Palm Tungsten E2 and my Ubuntu laptop talk IP to eachother. It took a bit of searching, but now it is working. It's one of those areas where one should not be afraid of a reboot, the incoming 'LAN access using PPP' kept being rejected until I rebooted the machine. Details added at The Dell Latitude D630 laptop and linux. The PalmOS webbrowser, Blazer, does show up with a weird user-agent: "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-Zir4; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320"
I made my own lolcat: Tender was sleeping on the couch near the laptop charger. I first tried to setup a picture but she was annoyed at my attempts to put the cable near her but 5 minutes later she went to sleep again. Recharging: 95% complete.
Happy new year! Our cable-tv signal dropped completely last evening of 2008 at 23:10. I guess some fireworks may have taken it out. So we watched the rest of the evenings TV using the dvb-t stick and the laptop. I called the cable-company this morning and reported the malfunction. Several neighbours I asked in the street are also without cable-tv signal.
Later in the afternoon the signal came back.
I received a new laptop from work and started writing down the experiences just like with the previous one: The Dell Latitude D630 laptop and linux. So far nothing shocking: I chose Ubuntu as linux distro.
I split the pages for the mobile phones I had working with the Dell Latitude C640 laptop into separate pages. Using the phone does not depend on the specific laptop, when the transport works (bluetooth) all systems will look the same, they just need the right software and the phone needs to cooperate. So, new pages:
The laptop I use can also run Windows XP when it is really necessary (every time this happens most of the time is spent waiting on windows updates). So I enabled IPv6 on Windows XP. IPv6 works nicely. I disabled the 'privacy extensions' directly because I want traceable addresses in use, even with IPv6.
The one application that goes horribly wrong now is the webbrowser Opera. When the laptop is in a non-IPv6 enabled network (like at work) and I visit an IPv6-enabled website like weather.idefix.net with it, it fails horribly: it just shows a 'network error' page after a long timeout. Disabling automatic 6to4 makes the 'network error' page just appear faster. I reported this as an bug with Opera. Other browsers (Internet explorer, Firefox) don't show this error (but I need to test them with IPv6 to make sure they don't avoid it completely).